Monday, May 12, 2008

Law Skillz in a Mini Storage World

So adaptation is a way of life, and today I spent my hours sitting by myself intermittently fielding phone calls and accepting rent payments and figuring out how to adapt my law skillz to my apparent destiny as a mini storage grunt.

Skill #1: Sitting all alone for hours on end.

Who would have thought all those hours sitting alone in the library would prepare me not for working diligently preparing a case for trial, but rather for actually sitting all alone in an office? Without 3 years of training, I'd already be certifiably insane.

Skill #2: Diligently preparing files.

After spending 3 years learning to be a perfectionist and fine-tuning everything in preparation for not misspelling our client's name on their pleading or something, I am now a machine when it comes to perfectly filling out lease agreements and rental files. Not once have I misspelled one of my clie...er...renters' names.

Skill #3: Dispute resolution.

While I didn't actually take a dispute resolution class in law school, it's a skill I'd like to think I picked up just by being in the building for 3 years. Just today perhaps the largest black man I've ever seen came into the office irate because of an error made by my uncle. Despite fearing that he'd eat me or possibly sit on my and smother me, I was able to diffuse the situation and convince him my uncle is an idiot and that he was wrong and I was sorry he was an idiot and wrong, but that's just the way he usually is.

Skill #4: Ethical behavior.

If there is anything stressed in law school, it's that our ethical behavior matters and we should alway be aware of how our behavior will be perceived by others. There have been many occasions where I was very tempted to woo a young lass who entered the mini storage, but I suppressed my hormones in order to maintain an air of professionalism.

Finally, today I spent writing bills instead of doing something constructive like applying for jobs, and low and behold I ran across a renter who is apparently in jail at the moment. It briefly flashed to mind that I could open up and mini storage/law joint venture, then I remembered all those ethics lessons. Bummer.

Oh, and guess what's coming from Netflix tomorrow???



That's right, TEETH. This is gonna be too awesome. Full review forthcoming.

Ashamed to have lost to Rob in fantasy baseball last week :(,
The Tycoon

3 comments:

Brad! said...

Guess who just made #1 on google!

#1 on Mini Storage Tycoon

#2 on Storage Tycoon (Mini or Not!)

Once you claim Mini Storage (your toughest hurdle yet) your conquest will be complete!

TINY PANTS said...

"After spending 3 years learning to be a perfectionist and fine-tuning everything..."

...

"Despite fearing that he'd eat me or possibly sit on my and smother me..."

The Tycoon said...

obviously my skills are already deteriorating